Is walking on a treadmill bad for knees?
As someone deeply immersed in fitness for over a decade, I can affirm that treadmill walking is generally knee-friendly, often recommended by doctors for 30-minute daily strolls. However, knee pain warrants caution and professional advice. Treadmill walking, a low-impact exercise, proves beneficial for those with prior knee injuries. Yet, moderation is key—overdoing it, opting for manual treadmills, or excessive speed may pose risks. Running, especially on manual treadmills with improper form, raises injury concerns. I dig into knee cap recommendations, treadmill side effects, and essential tips for pain alleviation.
But if you overdo it, use a manual treadmill or put the speed high on the treadmill then there is a chance that walking on a treadmill could go bad for your knees.
And many to keep your knees healthy and strong, many also recommend walking backward on a treadmill. You can check YouTube videos on it.
- Treadmill walking isn’t inherently bad for knees; doctors recommend at least 30 mins daily.
- Knee pain signals a need for caution; consult a doctor if pain persists during walking or sitting.
- Treadmill walking, a low-impact exercise, aids knee health, especially post-injuries.
- Overdoing it, using manual treadmills, or excessive speed can harm knees; moderation is vital.
- Running on treadmills, especially manual ones, with poor form can lead to knee pain and injuries.
- Three recommended knee caps for treadmill use: Dr. Ortho, Qatalyze, Tynor, each with unique features.
Why is running on a treadmill bad for you
Running on a treadmill is tough and if you are speeding up then you can injure yourself pretty easily.
Running on a treadmill is bad for you for 2 reasons.
One is that you are using a manual treadmill. Manual treadmills are a bad option for running. You need to put more pressure when you are using a manual treadmill since the belt doesn’t move by itself.
And in the long term, this can cause knee pain around the knee cap.
The second reason for running on a treadmill is bad for you is that you have bad form.
And considering if you are using a manual treadmill, the knee pain occurs pretty fast. Even with a motorized treadmill if your form is bad then you will feel pain around the knee cap.
And this also indicates muscle weakness in the glute, hip flexors and VMO. What muscles are lacking will be more clear if you visit a physiotherapist.
But if the pain is mild and you can do every chore in your daily life. Then not doing treadmill workouts may help the pain go away.
Otherwise you can also check the kneesovertoes on youtube channel to know more on knee pain and exercises to support your knee.
By the way, weak hips, weak thighs, weak butts and abs and the lack of stretching also can cause knee pain.
3 knee cap to help you Walk Safely on the treadmill at Home
Dr Ortho Knee Cap
Key Decision-Making Factors!
- The knee support has been effective in reducing knee pain. The knee support helps in providing relief to the muscles by improving blood circulation and aids in recovery.
- The knee support is good for providing support during activities like walking and sitting, but may not be as effective during exercise.
Dr. Ortho knee cap is one of the most popular knee cap in India.
This is a low-cost version and is useful for knee pain. It usually works well to hold the patella and maintain pressure around the knee.
And you can use it while walking on a treadmill also.
- One size fits all
- Cotton made
- May improve blood circulation in the area.
- Provides flexibility in the area
- May help with your walking or squats.
- May relieve joint pain in the knee.
- Good to support the injured knee.
- Low-cost wearable for minimum pain in the knee.
- Elasticity does not hold up for a long time.
- You might face some issues with the size.
Qatalyze Knee Cap for Men and Women
Key Decision-Making Factors!
- The product is soft and comfortable, which makes it suitable for daily wear and exercise.
- The knee brace provides excellent support to the knee and is suitable for walking, weight lifting, and other activities.
- The knee brace is suitable for function training at home and can help support the knee during sports activities.
Qatalyze Knee Cap is a unisex knee cap which is highly adjustable and easy to wear.
- Has a hole for patella or kneecap which makes it sure to hold around the kneecap.
- Comes with 4 flexible springs inside the knee cap.
- The compression is adjustable.
- The material is breathable and somewhat comfortable.
- Comes in three sizes.
- Provides great compression which helps with minimizing the pain.
- The springs help with knee stabilization.
- Does a good job when supporting the patella/kneecap.
- Will help when walking.
- Might help with knee joint pain.
- Might help with increasing blood flow in the area.
Sweat might reduce the lifespan of this kneecap.
Tynor Knee Cap Pair
Key Decision-Making Factors!
- The knee cap supports and stabilizes the knees and is not bulky, which does not restrict movements.
- The fabric of the knee cap absorbs sweat, and no allergic problems have been experienced.
- The size mentioned in the product guide may not be correct, and customers should check the measurement and corresponding size of the product before ordering.
Tynor knee cap comes as a pair and is a budget option when it comes to kneecaps.
It is to be used for minimum usages and good for compression.
- Tubular Support.
- Four way stretch.
- Provides warmth and compression.
- Absorbs sweat better with no rashes or allergy.
- Can be used by runners for jogging.
- Also can be used for strength training.
- Available in many sizes.
- Skin-friendly material and good support all around the joint.
- The breathable and stretchable material is used.
- Can wear during using treadmills, playing sports.
Not much durable.
Side effects of treadmill
If you are naturally healthy and using the treadmill for around 30 minutes a day then there should not have any side effects.
And you also have to maintain a proper form and pace while using the treadmill.
With either or those you might face knee pain.
Apart from physical side effects, here are some other –
- Treadmills are costly 💰
In India motorized treadmills generally cost around 20k INR. Which is a lot for most of us.
2. Running Cost: Treadmills use electricity so it will increase your electricity bills and if there is any faulty parts the repairs are not cheap either.
3. Treadmills often take too much space
A typical motorized treadmill will takes around 4 feet in length when in use. Due to increasing population we are shifting to smaller compact homes. And thus the size of treadmill is becoming a problem.
4. Treadmill runs are boring for the long term
The treadmill does not provide any variety of workouts. Thus after sometime all the treadmill workouts will become boring.
Treatment of Knee pain from running on a treadmill?
Note: These are my opinion backed by my experience only, if you have serious pain then visit your doctor immediately.
Otherwise, you can follow these common steps to ease and recover from knee pain.
- Rest: Do not use the treadmill for a few days and see if you improve.
- Ice: Place ice on the area where you feel the pain.
- Do corrective workouts: Do clamshells, VMO squats (1), and Peterson step-ups to strengthen your knees.
If you do not improve or feel discomfort then visiting a doctor is the best way.
Is walking on a treadmill bad for arthritic knees?
Unless your doctor specifies it then no. low impact walking on a treadmill is good for arthritic knees. And using a treadmill you can walk any time of the day, any season and stay nimble.
Is walking on a treadmill ok for bad knees?
If your doctor has recommended walking on a treadmill with bad knees then do it. Otherwise do not. Actually many do suggest doing light walking on a treadmill as it will help you bad knee to heal. Even walking in reverse seems to do wonders to bad knees.
Best treadmill workout for bad knees
If you have incline features then set the treadmill in a small incline and then start slow walks. Do for 3-5 minutes and assess your knee condition. If you feel pain then stop and resume the next day.
If the above is okay then these 3-5 minutes of slow walks are your warm-up sets.
After the warm-ups, you can walk for 15-20 minutes on the treadmill.
Then you can do some yoga as a cool-down process.
Is a treadmill good for bad knees?
If you are running at high speed or running at high speed on a motorised treadmill then treadmill could be bad for you. But if you are just walking at your own pace, taking rests then treadmill could be good for your bad knees. This way you can do low impact workouts which is beneficial for your knees.
What treadmill is best for bad knees?
Motorised treadmills with little incline are best for bad knees. the incline provides good angle for the ankle and a motorised treadmill with good padding takes away the impact that comes from walking.
How can I run on a treadmill without hurting my knees?
To run on a treadmill without hurting on a treadmill starts from the treadmill set up. Set the treadmill in slight incline, wear good running shoes, and set the speed to something that you can handle with ease.
This will help you with running on a treadmill without hurting your knees.
What is the best cardio exercise for bad knees?
The best cardio exercise for bad knees would be exercise bike workouts. These are not low-impact workouts that one can do with bad knees. And then you can also do walking and reverse walkings with your bad knees.
Is it OK to walk on a treadmill with knee pain?
Yes, walking is a good low-impact workout for bad knees. This will allow your knees to get stronger and more nimble and less prone to injury.
Should I walk on treadmill everyday?
Yes you can walk on a treadmill everyday for 30-60 minutes without any fear. But do not run, jog or increase the speed if you have knee pain. Also check if your treadmill has enough padding and shock absorption feature.
Is treadmill good for losing weight?
Treadmill walks, runs are great options for carotid workouts for losing weights. With a proper diet you will lose weight by walking 30 minutes a day on a treadmill.
Which exercises are bad for knees?
Box jumps, long jumps, squats, running a lot are bad for your knees. But it is not that the exercises are bad, the form, technique are in question when someone gets injured by performing these.
How can I get in shape with bad knees?
You can get in shape with bad knees, all you have to do is load less weight and do more reps. For example for squats you can pick box squats, do romanian deadlifts (single leg also). And incorporate some exercises like peterson step up, VMO squat etc for your bad knees. And avoid jumping exercises.
Are squats bad for knees?
Squats done with bad form are bad for knees. But with good form, squat strengthens your leg and will increase durability of your knee
Does a treadmill help lose belly fat?
Provided that you are on a low-calorie diet, the treadmill will help you lose belly fat. Treadmill walks tend to be easy on the joints thus for obese people treadmills are good equipment to lose weight. And at the treadmill console you can see the calories burned, maximum heart rate, distance covered.
For aerobic workouts, you can do bodyweight workouts like squats as well. This will help with developing strong
Is stationary biking good for bad knees?
Stationary biking is good for knees and these are less low impact than treadmill also. But the treadmill will burn more calories and will help you lose weight fast. Treadmill walk are more full body in nature if compared to exercise bike workouts. You can also look into
Is 30 minutes on the treadmill enough?
30 minutes on the treadmill walking is enough for weight loss. If you want to do cardio and improve cardiovascular health then you have to ramp it up a bit. Also for weight loss diet plays a big role.
If you are into strength-training then you can include treadmill sprint into your total-body workout.
Does a treadmill use a lot of electricity?
The treadmill motor uses around 500 watts on average in India. Thus if you use for 30 minutes a day then you will probably use around 3 INR. Cost is based around where I live. It may seem small but with 500 watts I can run almost 5 laptops per hour.
Is treadmill good for heart?
Any cardio workout is great for the heart. And many doctors do recommend 30 minutes of cardio. With a treadmill, 30 minutes is a great option to improve your carotid vascular performance. A 30-minute high-intensity walk will increase your heart rate.
You can also use a treadmill for your interval training.
Is it worth having a treadmill at home?
In a typical Indian family a treadmill makes more sense. Usually we have 1-2 old people who definitely need some workout options but can not get out much in the open. For them and for young people treadmill offers a great solution.
Are cheap treadmills any good?
Cheap treadmills are not good in India. Most of the time these are manual treadmills with not-so-durable build. Thus these treadmills are suitable for one person and light usage only. But cheap treadmills are useful for beginners with low budgets. And with cautious careful steps, you can burn fat or burn calories as well.
Is it better to walk outside or on a treadmill?
There are no added benefits of walking outside than on a treadmill. You can debate that fresh air, and meeting new people on the runs are a plus but when it comes to physical benefits, there are no differences. For fat-burning, both work the same. But in my opinion for stamina and increasing strength in lower body, outside runs are better.
Are stairs bad for knees?
Coming down using the stairs is often more painful than going up. And climbing stairs does put stress on the knees. But for a healthy knee regular stair, usages is not a problem.