How to lose weight on a treadmill in a month? That depends on what is your goal and diet!
While I am not into losing weight, yet, I would ask you to do HIIT training with treadmill to lose weight faster.
How much weight you can lose? No one can say.
I have seen people running on treadmills and then giving up since they are not able to lose weight. And most of the time the issue was with their diet.
So I guess you can lose around 10% weight in 1 month? You have to work on your Vo2max as well.
Studies like this also says HIIT training improvises cardiorespiratory fitness as well.
I have seen people in professional gyms doing HIIT than treadmill workout to lose weight.
Some of them have cut off rice completely, which I can never do. Can you?
But here I am sharing some info on how to use a treadmill for weight loss in India.
But please understand that I am not a certified trainer and these how to lose weight walking on treadmill tips are my own only.
Use them if you like them and see what happens.
How to lose weight walking on a treadmill?
- Start by warming up by 5 minutes a lower speed around 1-2 km per hour.
- After warming up, increase the speed to around 3-4 km per hour. Continue for 10 minutes.
- To raise the walking board, I mean use the incline feature of the treadmill and walk for 10 minutes.
- Depending on the incline, keep going up by one level and continue for 10 minutes.
- Repeat the next day.
By this progression, you are not rushing to max speed or steep incline. But gradually increasing your limit with progressive overload. And if you ever feel the incline is tough on your knees, then go back to the previous level.
If you rush in with the speed or incline you might get knee pain which you should avoid.
Here are some of the best treadmills in India.
How to lose weight on a treadmill in a month Running
If you are wondering if you run, then can you lose weight safely? Then be sure to know that with spending 30 minutes a day, you can lose weight on a treadmill in a month.
I am giving you the 30 minutes time frame since I have seen people losing weight just running on the treadmill for 30 minutes.
On average, it is said that you can lose up to 5 kg per month using a treadmill for 30 minutes a day.
Here are some easy workout progression with treadmill that you can follow –
- Warm up on a flat surface with 1-2 km per hour speed for about 5 minute.
- Ramp up the speed upto 3-4km and start slow jogging/walking for 5 minutes.
- Increase the incline by 3 levels and start jogging/walking for 5 minutes.
- From this step you can increase the speed to between 5-8km or increase the incline.
- Maintain this state for 10-15 minutes. If you are unable to run at this step, then walk.
- But always try to run, so you can lose weight at a faster rate.
- If you feel any knee pain or discomfort, then either reduce the speed or reduce the incline.
How effective is walking on a treadmill to lose weight?
Walking on a treadmill is effective for losing weight, but the main factor will always be your diet when weight loss is the goal. If your treadmill has an incline feature, then you should also use that while walking to lose weight.
Also, leisurely walking might not help as well. The workout has to be intense to have the effect quickly.
How long does it take to lose weight walking on a treadmill?
After a week or two, you will see the effect of walking on a treadmill when it comes to losing weight. And within a month you could be looking at losing 5kgs at least.
How to lose weight walking on a treadmill for 15 minutes? Can you?
Yes you can, but these 15 minutes should consist only of intense walking. No rest. No enjoying the news on TV.
- Spend 5 minutes on walking with 1-2 km per hour speed for warming up.
- Increase the incline and speed by a limit with which you can walk comfortably for 10 minutes.
- And to know if you are progressing or not, keep checking your weight. Also keep watching your diet. If you are not eating fewer calories than you need, then you will not lose weight at all.
Below is a 42 minute treadmill workout which includes a power off session as well.
Treadmill weight loss tips!
This is how to use treadmill effectively for weight loss –
- Progressive Overload: This means that you have to keep increasing the load when you feel you can comfortably do the run/walk for at least 10 minutes. For example, if you are comfortable with running on the treadmill with 5km per hour speed then after a week of that or when you see that you see that you are not gassing out then increase the speed.
Then again when you see you are comfortable with that increased speed then, increase the speed again. You will feel that you are getting stronger and your heart and lungs are getting well adapt for high stamina workloads.
You can also increase the incline of the treadmill gradually to achieve progressive overload.
- Another popular way is walking and running at low and high speeds. For example, do 2 minute walk with 2-3km per hour speed then increase the speed to 5-8km per hour or more and run for 10-15 seconds. Then walk again.
This builds up the stamina as well and will also help you lose weight.
And as always no matter what you do with the treadmill, you have to maintain a good diet.
Treadmill Weight Loss Plan!
This is a treadmill workout plan with running and walking but you can change it to treadmill walking workouts to lose weight fast.
All you need to do is replace the running part with walking.
- Set the treadmill as flat and walk for 5 minutes at 2km per hour.
- Increase the speed to 8-10 km per hour and run for 15-20 seconds.
- Drop the speed to 2km again and walk for 2 minutes.
- Increase the speed again to 8-10km per hour and run for 20-30 seconds.
- Then again drop the speed to 2km per hour and walk for 2 minutes.
- If you have stamina left then you can increase the speed to 10-12km per hour and continue for 30 seconds.
- Repeat as long as you can.
This is a burst training which allows you to do high intensity training and then rest. This spikes up your heart rate and lungs capacity. And it will help you burn a lot of calories.
For the steps from 2-6 you can also increase the incline, if your treadmill has one.
And in this way you can continue for a longer time but 30 minutes a day is good for losing weight on a treadmill.
In India high speed treadmills are costly so I have capped the speed at 12km per speed only. But if you have a commercial or semi commercial treadmill then you can go higher.
Also if you are running then get treadmills that have the cushioning to support you. Otherwise you are welcoming knee pain.
How long should I walk on the treadmill to lose weight?
A fitness professional can help you more on this but I would say in India you can walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes to lose weight. Losing weight will depend on your diet too. Before that 30 minutes of work you should do some warmup at low speed also.
How long should you walk on a treadmill to lose belly fat?
At a bare minimum, give 10 minutes of warm up at 1-3 km per hour speed and then do 30 minutes of at least 5-8 km per hour speed walks or jogs. Then very soon you will start to lose fat all over your body. You should also use less rice, fat and Indian junk foods for faster effects.
Is walking on the treadmill 30 minutes a day enough?
Walking for 30 minutes a day is what many doctors recommend and if you count then per week you are walking 210 minutes, which is great. If you want to ramp it up then you can play with incline, speed and mix other aerobic workouts. These will challenge your stamina.
Is it better to run or walk on a treadmill to lose weight?
If you are healthy,have no knee pain then running is a better option to lose weight. Running does burns more calories than walking. Be sure to warm up first with low speeds and then speed up for running. You can run for 20 seconds and then walk for 1 minute. In this way you will be able to run a lot without getting tired quickly.
Can I lose weight by walking 30 minutes everyday?
Yes, 30 minutes of walking with or without treadmills will help you with weight loss and maintain healthy cardio activity. Do ramp up your walking from time to time unless your doctor asks you to do something else. Use that incline, speed up take short breaks and you will lose fat quicker and will also be healthy.
Can I lose weight on a treadmill?
Treadmill or not you can lose walk by walking 30 minutes a day. Treadmill for home gym in India just makes it more convenient. For example right now it is raining so I can not go outside so with a treadmill I can just walk indoors. You can also do weight training and other carotid workouts to increase your stamina and improve weight loss.
What is the best time of day to walk on treadmill?
Research says that between 4 to 5pm our lung capacity is at highest thus you can workout at that time but for weight loss you can do that with an empty stomach as well in the morning.
Is it bad to run everyday on a treadmill?
No walking or running on a treadmill everyday is not bad for your health. But you have to listen to your body, if you feel you are having knee pain then you have to stop and take a rest. Also the treadmill should have some cushioning underneath the belt to protect your knees. Otherwise 30 minutes a day on a treadmill is beneficial to the human body.
Does walking reduce belly fat?
Walking will cost calories and if you diet smartly that is to eat less calories than what you really need. Then you will lose fat and eventually you will reduce belly fat. But you will not lose belly fat by walking.
Is speed or incline better for weight loss?
Both speed or incline is better for weight loss while using a treadmill and you should use both to maximize the effects. While warming up use slow speeds and then you can start with incline.
Is walking on the treadmill better than running?
Walking and running on a treadmill are not better than each other since it will depend on the user’s body. If you have knee issues then you have to walk which will be best for your knee. Otherwise running will burn more calories which could be your goal with using a treadmill.
Does walking reduce thigh fat?
Walking will not help you with losing thigh fat because you can not target body parts to lose fat. But walking is a good exercise and if you are on a caloric deficit diet then you will lose fat from all over your body.
What exercise burns the most calories in 30 minutes?
Running is generally the go to go exercise for burning calories. And daily running of 30 minutes will burn the most calories.
Research data: impact of treadmill workout