Don’t be afraid.
Protein powders, namely whey, should not have any naturally occurring side effects for any. It is very unlikely that you will get any side effects by any health supplement brand in India.
But many do face weird skin issues, bloating, stomach problems by consuming protein. This 2021 study confirms that excessive protein consumption for a long time, along with a sedentary lifestyle, might result in unfavourable effects on liver and kidney functions.
So I would suggest taking some breaks in between protein supplementation and vary the source of protein from time to time.
3 months of whey, 1 month of soy protein may be?
I have personally consumed various types of protein powder in India and I can confidently recommend you the best protein powder for weight gain without side effects in India.
And those with bad digestion, always go for those proteins which contains digestive enzymes. I am using this.
PS: I am a skinny dude 🙁
See my buying guide for no side effect protein powders.
8 best protein supplement in India without side effect
|Bet protein Supplement without side effects||Approx Price Per scoop|
|Muscle Pharm Combat Powder||72.0|
|Dymatize Nutrition Elite Whey Protein Powder||83.0|
|Himalaya Quista Pro Advanced Whey Protein Powder||57.7|
|Abbzorb Nutrition Raw+ Whey Isolate 90%||57.0|
|Optimum Nutrition (ON) Gold Standard||82.0|
|Advance MuscleMass Whey Isolate with Enzyme Blend||57.5|
|NAKPRO PLATINUM 100% Whey Protein Isolate||41.0|
|AS-IT-IS Nutrition Whey Protein||43.0|
The top whey protein supplements like Dymatize, ON have almost no records of side effects.
ON, Dymatize, Musclepharm, myprotein, abzorb nutrition are the best protein supplements in India without side effects.
These are also good as the best protein powder for weight gain without side effects in India.
For best results and absolute no chances of side effects, pick whey isolates.
I have personally eaten these and even never faced bloating or acidity.
These proteins are always high quality with good mixability.
To stay on the safe side, always choose the big brands and try smaller sachets. This way you can check for allergic reactions and side effects.
If the protein suits you, then you buy the bigger pack and save money.
[Review] best protein powder for weight gain without side effects in India
Muscle Pharm Combat Powder Advanced Time Release Protein
Muscle Pharm Combat Powder is a blend of protein which is widely used by many athletes.
Well researched and well tested protein which is being used all over the world. So no chance of getting any side effects.
- 25 gram protein per 33 gram scoop.
- Protein contains whey hydrolysate, whey isolate, whey concentrate, casein and egg albumin
- Well researched protein blend of 5 different type of protein
- 5 gram BCAA
- No gluten
- No banned substances
- 130 kcal per serving
- Not a vegetarian product
- Cost per scoop for now: 72 INR
- Well researched protein blend that can be taken anytime of the day.
- This protein blend is made for athletes and ensures lean muscle growth and muscle recovery.
- Contains 5 great protein sources. That ranges from fast digesting protein to slow digestive proteins. This makes sure that your body keep getting the proteins.
- Can help with field performance, lean muscle and strength.
- Cost of protein does not improve much, even if you buy the 10lbs/5 kg pack.
- Contains eggs and whey concentrate, so can be allergic to some
Dymatize Nutrition Elite Whey Protein Powder
Dymatize whey proteins are vegetarian products and also well known among athletes and bodybuilders.
- 25 gram protein per 36 grams scoop
- Full range of BCAA 5.5 gram and glutamine
- A blend of whey protein isolate, concentrate, hydrolyzed whey.
- 0 added sugar
- NO gluten
- Available in many rich flavours
- Cost of per scoop of protein 83 INR
- Fast absorbing protein, you might want to try after workout to speed up recovery and keep away DOMS.
- Available in a variety of flavours.
- A well known protein supplement in the fitness industry.
- No side effects known.
- Might not be good for lactose intolerant people.
Himalaya Quista Pro Advanced Whey Protein Powder
Himalay quista pro is a vegetarian protein powder with goodness of herbs.
- Per scoop of protein costs around 58 INR
- A blend of whey concentrate, isolate and hydrolysate
- Contains taurine, vitamins, ashwagandha, hadjod, dadima
- 22 gram of protein per 34 gram scoop.
- 5 gram BCAA
- 10 gram EAA
- Whey peptide as digestive enzyme
- Can get the rejuvenating properties of ashwagandha.
- Mix of vitamins and other herbs may help with immunity and recovery.
- Protein blend is ideal for any time consumption.
- The protein blend will digest faster and will stay in the bloodstream for a long time.
- Few had acidity issues.
- You actually miss out protein per scoop due to the herbs. Whereas you can buy herbs separately if you want some. Same goes for vitamins, you can simply buy separately. Probably you do not need vitamins as well.
Abbzorb Nutrition Raw+ Whey Isolate 90%
Since it is an isolate protein, you get higher protein per scoop and no lactose issues.
Also this protein is well tested in third party labs by several people.
- 29.7 grams protein per 33 gram scoop.
- 7.48 grams BCAA
- 4.01 grams glutamine
- Cost per scoop is 57 INR.
- No sugar
- Contains digestive enzyme
- Since I am personally using this I can tell there are no side effects, bloating etc.
- Can be used anytime of the day.
- Good for a post workout shake.
- Provides a large amount of protein per scoop.
- Low cost per scoop.
- Have good third party lab test results.
- It would be good if there were any refill packs available.
Optimum Nutrition (ON) Gold Standard
ON is known for the results, flavours and mixability. Although pricey but it is one of the best you can get.
- 24 gram protein per scoop of 30.4 gram
- 4 gram glutamine
- 5.5 gram BCAA
- A blend of whey concentrate, isolate and enzyme
- No Gluten
- Cost per scoop is 82 INR.
- Fast digestion protein, ideal for post workout shake.
- Good for muscle gain and recovery.
- Easy to mix.
- Good flavours.
- Well known in the fitness industry.
High chance of getting duplicate product so check the code carefully.
Advance MuscleMass Whey Isolate with Enzyme Blend
Advance Musclemass Whey isolate is a new protein maker in the market and so far does not have any side effects.
- 25 gram protein per 30 gram scoop
- 5.36 gram BCAA
- 4 gram glutamine
- Cost per scoop 57.5 INR
- Blend of whey isolate protein only
- NO sugar
- Zero cholesterol
- Gluten free
- Contains digestive enzymes
- Low cost protein blend that can be taken any time of the day.
- Contains good quantities of BCAA and glutamine which will help with muscle growth and recovery.
- Contains no additional ingredients or chemicals.
- Veg product.
- Digestive enzymes will help your gut health.
One or two people have issues with the liver though.
NAKPRO PLATINUM 100% Whey Protein Isolate
This is one of the cheapest whey protein isolate in India.
And along side with many flavours it has been lab tested by many youtubers also.
- 30.4 grams of protein per scoop of 33 gram
- Cost per scoop 41 INR
- Contains naturally occurring 6.9 BCAA
- 5.3 gram glutamine
- 14.3 gram EAA
- No flavour
- No color
- NO chemical
- This is an unflavoured version with no color, flavour thus it provides the highest number of protein per scoop.
- Since it is unflavoured you can mix it with any food you want to.
- High amount of protein per scoop which will help you with reaching your daily protein intake.
- Also available in many flavours.
- Great for post workout shakes.’
- Great for muscle building, strength and recovery.
- No allergen in the blend.
Since there are no digestive enzymes, it may cause bloating and gas for some.
AS-IT-IS Nutrition Whey Protein Isolate 90%
As-It-is probably the first Indian brand that started selling unflavoured whey proteins.
And soon this brand got real popular.
- Whey isolate blend only.
- 27 gram protein per 30 gram scoop.
- 5.93 gram BCAA
- 4.54 gram glutamic acid
- Cost per scoop is 43 INR
- NO sugar
- No fat
- No gluten
- No preservatives
- As the name suggests, the protein is not adulterated at all. What you see at the label is what you get.
- Get a high amount of protein per scoop which will help you reach your daily goals.
- Good for athletes, bodybuilders and strength gain.
- No kind of other chemical is present.
- Since it has no flavour you can mix it up with many food items.
Digestion can be an issue since it is kind of raw whey isolate. It does not have any enzymes.
Buying Guide best protein supplement in India without side effect
Although in my experience, it is rare to find protein supplements in India without side effects. Unless you are buying from a shady brand.
But nonetheless, there should not be any problem if you stick to the basics of finding the best protein powder for weight gain without side effects in India.
Reviews: Since you are concerned about side effects, you should check the reviews first. Search with side effects in the reviews to quickly find out if anyone has any issues with the protein supplement.
Since we all have different body types, we respond to protein shakes differently. So you should read the review and if you see side effects, allergic reactions then you should look for alternatives.
Or try a smaller portion.
Buy Small Pack: Although not common in India, but many protein makers do provide sample packs of protein powder in small quantities. In that way, you can eat it and check if you are developing bad symptoms.
This way you will save money if you unfortunately develop some side effects.
Ingredients: Red the label of protein powder that you want to buy. Many protein powders contain unnecessary sugar, maltodextrin which is not good for your body.
You should consider the protein powders which do not contain any banned substances, unnecessary fillers and unnecessary flavour items.
Price Per Scoop: Divide the cost of the protein pack by the total serving. And you will get the true cost of the protein.
Why do this?
Because many protein packs are small in size yet costly. And many protein packs have unusually large scoop size.
If you judge only by the total cost then you will probably lose money.
Protein Type: Consider what protein is ideal for you. If you are a vegan, then plant proteins are ideal for you. If you can not digest milk, then whey concentrate is not for you.
In general, whey isolate is the overall best protein, but it is costly.
And there is also casein protein which comes from milk and is suitable for nighttime usages.
Requirement: If you are after building large muscles, get strong or improve athletic performances then whey protein variants are the way to go.
If you are vegan then you have to go for pea and brown rice protein blend.
Although not as good as whey but still it would work.
Brand: Good brands do not mix unnecessary flavours or chemicals in their products.
And there are also many brands which are regularly being used by athletes. If you want, then you can buy these.
Those will be somewhat costly but still it would work.
Digestive Enzymes: Digestive Enzymes are the main reason that weak stomach people like us get bloating. I always pick protein powders with enzymes, so I do not get sick! 🙁
Which protein has no side effects?
Whey isolate is the safest protein which has no side effects. Since isolate does not have lactose, it will not cause any allergic reaction also. And ideally other natural protein sources like pea, brown rice are also does not have any side effects.
Which protein is best for muscle gain without side effects?
Whey isolates are best for muscle gain without side effects. In India you can get whey isolate from brands like ON, Musclepharm, Abzorb, Nakpro etc.
What is the best and safest protein powder?
Whey isolate, pea and brown rice protein powder are the safest. Among these whey isolate is best for muscle gain and safest. And blends of pea and rice protein are also somewhat as good as whey protein.
Is protein powder bad for your kidneys?
Protein powder is not bad for your kidneys. No at all. But overdose of protein can strain your kidneys and thus lead to damage. And the overdose of protein can happen from protein powders or from natural foods as well.
What is the best type of protein?
Animal proteins are the best when it comes to usability. For supplements, whey isolate is the best type of protein. Next can be whey concentrate and casein. And after that comes eggs and then all vegan proteins lie soy, pea etc.
Is it bad to drink 2 protein shakes a day?
It is not bad to drink 2 protein shakes a day. It roughly means that you are consuming about 50 grams of protein. Now all it comes down to the amount of protein you need per day. All of the daily requirements of protein should not come from supplements. You must eat real food to compensate for most of the protein requirements.
Are protein powders safe?
In India always check for lab test reports first. This ensures that safety of protein powders in India. Generally big brands get counterfeit products so you should also verify via the barcode/sms that comes on the pack.
Is 3 protein shakes a day too much?
Yes, 3 protein shakes does sound too much. You should not consume more than half or one third of daily protein intake via supplements. Rather add chicken, whole milk, peanuts etc to your diet to complete the daily protein intake.
Which protein is best for gym?
Whey isolate is best for the gym. If that is costly then get whey concentrate or casein protein for the gym. Other than supplements you should eat healthy foods everyday.
What are the worst protein powders?
There are no worst protein powder. In case you want to use protein powder for muscle building then plant based protein powders rank the lowest. Whey and other animal protein are always of high quality.
Which is better pea protein or whey protein?
For gym, for muscle building whey protein of all types are better. But for vegan bodybuilders pea protein is good.
Is it OK to have protein powder every day?
Yes, it is absolutely fine to consume protein powder everyday. Usually 2 scoops per day is perfectly fine if you are working out. Otherwise maybe you should stick with one scoop of protein powder per day only.
Should You Have a Protein Shake Before or After Your Workout?
You can have a protein shaker after a workout to speed up the recovery process. Your muscles would love the protein after workout.
How many grams of protein do I need a day?
The rule of protein intake is 0.8 grams per kg bodyweight. But if you are pushing yourself, doing heavy workouts then you can go for at least 1.5 grams per kg of your bodyweight. But do not consume all of the protein intake from supplements only. Get at least 50% of your daily protein intake from real foods.
Does protein make you gain weight?
Excess protein intake might cause fat gain over time.Otherwise protein intake will not make you gain weight. But if you workout enough and get a healthy diet then you can certainly gain muscle, thus your weight will also increase.
Can I drink protein shake before bed?
Yes, you can drink casein protein before bed. It will keep you full and also help you recover your muscles. Our body repairs it during the night time and a slow digesting protein will help it recover. Especially after a heavy workout.
When should I drink my protein?
Fitness enthusiasts, trainers will recommend drinking protein shakes after a workout within 30-60 minutes. They call it the anabolic window and believe that it will give the most benefits. But you can consume whey protein at breakfast and during the day as well. Also casein is a slow digesting protein which can be consumed at bed time in India.
What are the bad side effects of protein shakes?
If you are consuming whey protein which has lactose and you have allergy to it then there could be many side effects. Also many do feel bloated, gas, digestion issues with consuming protein powders. But protein shakes are not harmful to most of us in India. And if you are not happy with whey then try whey isolates, whey hydrolysate and plant protein powders.
Do you really need protein powder?
No, if you consume enough food then you can easily get all the protein you need. Especially with our Indian diet that should not be an issue at all. But if you are not good at cooking, or have time crunch to make chicken then protein powders are really a convenient option.
Who needs protein powder?
Bodybuilders, athletes needs protein powder to maintain their performance. And also if someone is unable to obtain protein powder from their daily food intake then they can also drink protein shakes.
Can a protein shake replace a meal?
Protein shakes will not replace a meal. These are only for giving you some protein only. There are other meal replacement shakes in the market. But do not completely rely on them. And you can mix oats, fruits protein powder to make meal replacement shakes also.
Do protein shakes make you smell bad?
Well if you are having digestive issues and getting bloated from protein shakes then your fats may smell bad. There is no other way around.
How many protein shakes a day is safe?
At least 2 protein shakes per day is safe. And more than that is also okay if your trainer, dietitian is okay with it. Otherwise do not rely on protein shakes to complete the daily protein intake of yours.
Researched Data: Whey side effects